Happy Birthday, Arizona!
From our colleagues at the National Archives at Riverside, CA (the newest addition to the National Archives Tumblr presence!):
Today marks the 100th anniversary of Arizona’s statehood!
Here at NARA-Riverside, we decided to commemorate this day by trying to find some records that refer back to the transition from a U.S. territory to a state; after all, we do maintain all of the permanent federal records for all of Arizona!
One of the first records we found that tells us about the statehood was on the last page of a very large, very old bound volume of minutes of the First District of the Arizona Territorial Court. Upon statehood, the Territorial Court was no longer the correct avenue for proceedings—now Arizona needed District Courts. The Pima Bar Association asked that an entry be included at the end of the volume—it’s celebratory and transitional, but also a little bittersweet.
18 Notes/ Hide
- merriemarie likes this
- jrisz reblogged this from jessbend
- rainbowsandscholarship likes this
- jim1701 likes this
- jessbend reblogged this from todaysdocument
- olivepitt reblogged this from todaysdocument
- twinkletwirl likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from todaysdocument
- ohaidanturners reblogged this from todaysdocument
- qbnscholar likes this
- coconutcradle likes this
- obitoftheday likes this
- zen-rocks-cowboyhats likes this
- undercovernun likes this
- todaysdocument reblogged this from riversidearchives and added:
- todaysdocument likes this
- riversidearchives posted this